Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ballad of a Beast


My friends, both old and of the new mould,
Both from the shadow and the realm of gold,
To each when you became so dear,
A shard of my heart I had given to keep near.

Over the years, now I have found,
Of all the shards I had passed around,
A few were lost, a few thrown away,
A few found to be a burden on the way.

A fragment is all that is left of my dear heart,
I guard it zealously from all who would tear it apart,
And yet to you, so naive, so gay,
I grant you my life even as you unthinkingly say...

"What are you, but a beast without a heart,
A stranger, a wanderer, is this all you can grant?"
'A beast without a heart', 'tis very true,
But only because my heart bled for each one of you...

2 comments:

D. P. said...

So beautiful

The Dark Prince said...

Thank you. :-)

I was afraid people would take it negatively. Thank you again.