Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Let truth prevail (whatever it is . . .)


Recently I had a discussion which brought home a few painful truths:
1] We are a country of amazingly narrow-minded people.
2] The so-called educated/civilized strata of our society harbours some of the most narrowest minds we could ever meet.

On introspection, we ourselves might not be as open-minded as we think we are. The issue which drove me to think about these points was this: should religion play a role in education? The opinion I'd heard which shocked me was that religion and education are inseparable.

As far as my personal opinion is concerned, I believe that one of the major reasons for our masses being liable to being manipulated so easily by cunning politicians leading to so many bloody riots and unnecessary anguish is this stupid belief:
"What I believe is the truth. It is my duty to stand by my beliefs no matter what happens."

I staunchly believe in the 2nd statement and at the same time, firmly reject the 1st one.
It is impossible for a person to know if his beliefs/thoughts represent absolute truth.
Of course, I am free to follow what I believe is the truth. But, at the same time, I cannot (and should not) enforce it on someone else as his/her thoughts and beliefs might be completely different.

Just as a person standing in a train cannot measure the speed of another train, we cannot judge the truthfulness or falsehood of a situation while we are influenced by it.
In simple words, I have no right to judge another individual.

Let us live our life according to our beliefs and extend the same courtesy to others. The burden of a single soul is more than enough.
Remember, there is always the very real danger that we may have been wrong . . .

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. - Andre Gide

1 comment:

The Dark Prince said...

@Disha: I couldn't respond to your comment then. Some problem with that widget. :-)

Rest assured, I know my comments are offensive. They're meant to be. Because the truth often is uglier than what we like to believe.

I will elaborate later, am pressed for time now. Regards.